Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Recipe #2: Chilli Crab

I’ve been wanting to blog about the new recipe which I've gotten from the Internet but I'm too preoccupied with work right now. Yes, I'm back to my second home – the office – for 3 days now and have been re-adapting myself to the fast-paced working environment. It's not easy, I tell you. My office is not conducive for preggers, located at far end, with no lift but flights of stairs and winding slopes. But I’m loving every minute at work as I get to put on my thinking cap again and meet my lovely colleagues. You tend to forget things when you're pregnant (it's normal, you can google about it if you don't trust me). I even forget the guy’s name who's taking over my place during my 4-month maternity leave. And yesterday, I actually tapped my EZ link card, meant for public transport, to exit from my workplace :S

I guess, the DHA pills I which I take religiously have all gone to baby – not that I’m complaining. I really hope she’ll turn out fine and hopefully smart. Amin!

Back to the recipe...I had the kitchen to myself as Mak and Ayah were away last weekend. So I took the opportunity to improve on my cooking and try something more adventurous, my all-time favourite Chilli Crab. Yes, the dish that Singapore and Malaysia have been claiming theirs. Tsk. Itu pun mau gado ka? You can read more about the food fight here.






Here's the recipe (serves 2):

Ingredients (You can get all these from NTUC for S$16)
(1) 1 big blue crab, steamed until the outer shell turns reddish
(2) 3 inch ginger, minced (about 3 tablespoons)
(3) 4 fresh chillies, seeded and minced
(4) 1 small red onion, minced
(5) 1 tablespoon of black soy sauce
(6) Half cup plain tomato sauce
(7) Half cup chilli sauce
(8) 1 tablespoon sugar
(9) 2 teaspoons salt
(10) 2 teaspoons cornstarch
(11) 2 eggs beaten
(12) 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
(13) 1 scallion, thinly sliced

Method:
(1) Heat oil and fry garlic, ginger, chilli and onion until fragrant.
(2) Add soy sauce and stir-fry several seconds.
(3) Add steamed crab and stir-fry.
(4) Stir in tomato and chilli sauce, sugar, salt, pepper and 1 cup of water. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer. Stir frequently, until crab meat is fully cooked, about 3 to 4 minutes.
(5) In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and 2 tablespoons of water. Stir into crab mixture until sauce thickens, about 1 minute.
(6) Stir in eggs and simmer until sauce thickens, about 1 minute.



There you go! A satisfying dish, served with Thai rice on banana leaf! Heaven!

No comments:

Post a Comment